Friday, January 22, 2010

My First Recipe! Raw Pecan Pie


Yes friends, I have developed my first recipe with the help of my wonderful wife. One of my favorite desserts of all time has been pecan pie. I remember as a boy going to my Grandma's house for Thanksgiving. She would bake 2-3 of them for the holiday and set them on top of her refrigerator to cool. She baked them 3 days in advance and I would spend hours just staring at the edges of that buttery crust waiting for a slice. Only slightly less painful than seeing presents under the tree days before Christmas and not being able to open them. Well, when we decided to only eat raw desserts my heart wept a little at the thought of no more pecan pie. I'm sure there are other recipes out there but I've made enough raw pies to have a pretty good idea of how various ingredients work. So I set about on a trial and error run to make my very own recipe for pecan pie. Well, it only took two tries! I guess we're getting pretty good at this. After my first pie my wife and I discussed what worked and what didn't. We talked about what a regular pecan pie has going for it and how to best recreate that in a raw way. The result has had a great response. My supervisor at my internship loved it and my wife's co-worker has demanded the recipe. And now I share it with all of you, my raw friends.

Muffin's Raw Pecan Pie
Use the Walnut crust from the Apple Pie and Chocolate Mousse Tort recipe.

Filling;
2 cups dates (soaked 20-30 minutes)
1 cup Raisins (Soaked 20-30 minutes)
2 cups Pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 TBS Agave
1/2 cup coconut water (you can use regular water if you choose)

Blend the dates, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and agave in the blender fitted with the S blade until smooth. Slowly add the water until you get a creamy consistency.
Scoop the filling into the pie crust smoothing it out.
Evenly spread out the pecans on top.
Chill for at least one hour before serving.

Enjoy and Be Healthy!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your page by surfing the internet. I live in Iceland and I am getting more and more into the RAW food.
    The Pecan Pie looks to delicious to be true. But I cannot find the recipe for the crust. Can you post the crust to?
    All the best.
    Kristjana in Iceland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristjana, I'm so happy you found my blog and I hope I can be of help to you on your raw journey. The crust recipe is below. I hope you enjoy.
    I guarantee you, it is delicious.


    Walnut Crust-
    Makes 3 cups for a 9 inch pie or tart pan

    2 cups raw walnuts, unsoaked
    1 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, unsoaked (if you can't find medjool you may use another kind of date, but medjool are the best)

    Place walnuts, coconut and salt in food processor fitted with the S blade and process until finely ground. Add dates and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and sticks together. A good test is to pinch a little between your index finger and thumb, if the mixture sticks then you're good to go. Do not over process. If you're not using the mixture right away place in a sealed container for up to one month in the refrigerator or three months in the freezer.
    If you're ready to go then pour mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie or tart pan. Use a light circular motion with your palm and fingers to distribute the crumbs uniformly along the bottom and sides of the pan. There should be a 3/4 inch lip of crumbs along the sides. After the crumbs are evenly distributed press down with your palm on the bottom of the pan, be sure to press firmly where the bottom meets the sides of the pan. Press the crust against the pan's sides, shaping it so that the edges are flush to the rim. Place crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete