Sunday, November 15, 2009

Rawpple Pie



Raw Apple Pie, or as we like to call it Rawpple Pie. I got this recipe from one of our favorite raw foods book; "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People" by Jennifer Cornbleet. Jennifer's book is full of easy to make recipe's that don't require a lot of equipment. Just the usual stuff the average person will have in their kitchen. If there's something you don't have but won't, or can't, invest in a new appliance, I'm sure a friend or family member will have one you can borrow, just make sure you share some of your tasty goodness. You can also get a companion DVD where Jennifer shows you how to make some of her favorite dishes.

We love the rawpple pie because it uses the best part of a traditional apple pie, the apples! Sweet, juicy delicious apples. The combination of apples, dates and raisins (and a dash of cinnamon) do not leave you lacking for sweetness. Now, on to the good stuff. We love this because it is a sweet dessert with a crust that still has a buttery flavor, that's due to the salt. The sliced apples stay crunchy in the filling that literally melts in your mouth. No butter, oil or eggs to weigh you down after you eat it either. And if you must have it ala mode stay tuned for some of my raw ice cream recipe's, yes, you can make raw ice cream.

Granted, I have never made a traditional apple pie from scratch so I can't tell you how long it takes, but I can tell you this pie took me less than 45 minutes to make. The only machinery needed was a food processor. I will admit, the crust took me a few times to get down, but after a few mishaps I got it. My only recommendation, as far as any modifications would be, is to drain the apple slices of the lemon juice you soak them in, this will make for a less soggy crust when you eat the rawpple pie over the next couple of days. And let me tell you, rawpple pie is best after a couple of days. Also, Jennifer says to peel the aples, I don't, I like the peel, but that's just me.

Now for the recipe;

Walnut Crust-
Makes 3 cups for a 9 inch pie or tart pan

2 cups raw walnuts, unsoaked
1 cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pitted medjool dates, unsoaked (if you can't find medjool you may use another kind of date, but medjool are the best)

Place walnuts, coconut and salt in food processor fitted with the S blade and process until finely ground. Add dates and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and sticks together. A good test is to pinch a little between your index finger and thumb, if the mixture sticks then you're good to go. Do not over process. If you're not using the mixture right away place in a sealed container for up to one month in the refrigerator or three months in the freezer.
If you're ready to go then pour mixture evenly into a 9 inch pie or tart pan. Use a light circular motion with your palm and fingers to distribute the crumbs uniformly along the bottom and sides of the pan. There should be a 3/4 inch lip of crumbs along the sides. After the crumbs are evenly distributed press down with your palm on the bottom of the pan, be sure to press firmly where the bottom meets the sides of the pan. Press the crust against the pan's sides, shaping it so that the edges are flush to the rim. Place crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Rawpple filling-
Makes 8 servings for one 9 inch pie or tart pan

2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup Medjool dates, soaked (When soaking dates and raisins I usually soak them for around 30 minutes so this would be a good step to do at the beginning)
1/2 cup raisins, soaked
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Toss the sliced apples with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and set aside (This is what I recommend you drain before adding to the filling). Place chopped apples, dates, raisins, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the cinnamon into the food processor fitted with the S blade and process until smooth. Remove from processor and add to the sliced apples.
Remove crust from the freezer and pour filling into the crust. Flatten down with a spatula. To bring it to room temperature I place in a slow oven. Simply preheat oven to 200 degrees. When oven is hot turn it off and place pie inside. Leave pie in oven for about 15 minutes. I like to sprinkle some more cinnamon on top and then serve.

To keep just cover and refrigerate. Pie should keep for a week or so, but I doubt it'll last that long. Marina and I have found rawpple pie also makes a great breakfast.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do, if you have any questions please e-mail me and I'll do my best to assist.

Enjoy and be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment